- 1 Offshore Fishing Reels Buyer’s Guide and Product Reviews
- 1.1 Top 10 Offshore Fishing Reels – Comparison Table
- 1.2 1# Penn SQL30LW Squall LevelWind – our best pick in offshore fishing
- 1.3 2# Shimano TLD 2-Speed Conventional Reel – trust proven over years
- 1.4 3# Penn Battle II Spinning Fishing Reel – multifunctional spinning reel
- 1.5 4# Sougayilang Line Counter Reel – good performance and pleasant appearance all rolled into one
- 1.6 5# KastKing Rover Round Baitcasting Reel – Our #2 Pick In The List
- 1.7 6# Avet 5.3:1 Lever Drag Conventional Reel – not well-known but very effective variant
- 1.8 7# Okuma Cold Water Linecounter Trolling Reel – manufacturer’s attention to details
- 1.9 8# Daiwa SGT20H Seagate Star Drag Reel– model with many additional functions
- 1.10 9# One Bass Fishing Reels Level Wind Conventional Jigging Reel – most non-standard type of handle
- 1.11 10# Loki Saltwater Freshwater Conventional Fishing Reel – silver quality guarantee
- 2 How to Choose – Our Tips and Recommendations
Offshore Fishing Reels Buyer’s Guide and Product Reviews
Every day the market is replenished with thousands of new fishing reels. Therefore, it is difficult to choose from such a quantity something qualitative and necessary. Choosing the right offshore reel is no less important for a fisherman than choosing a fishing rod or fishing line.
A good offshore reel should have a smooth drag and drop system, a high-quality spool, and many other things. In our guide, we have collected 10 of the best offshore reels. We based on customer feedback and advice from professional anglers. We also reviewed the features that make the offshore reel high-quality and durable.
Our reviews give an exhaustive answer to the question: “Which offshore reel do I need?“ In addition to the fact that you can decide on the choice of reel, so also learn about what you should pay attention to choosing it. In our guide, you will find both expensive reels for more professional fishing and more budget ones for those who are not yet ready to spend a lot of money on a reel and just want to try this kind of fishing.
Top 10 Offshore Fishing Reels – Comparison Table
1# Penn SQL30LW Squall LevelWind – our best pick in offshore fishing
Our list being opened by Penn SQL30LW Squall LevelWind fishing reel, which we considered the best among the presented. This model has been repeatedly tested by experienced anglers around the world and has excellent reviews on Amazon and other shops. We think that this offshore reel deserves to be a leader on the list for many reasons.
Key Features of the Penn SQL30LW Squall LevelWind:
- The graphite frame and side plates make the reel quite light whereas most offshore reels are made from heavier aluminum.
- Taking this reel in hand, you will immediately feel that it is perfectly balanced – this is thanks to two stainless steel ball bearings that balance the reel on both sides. Anti-reversing bearing will ensure you a very smooth operation when releasing the line.
- The reel will be indispensable for both right-handers and left-handers because the company supplies all reels except the largest and smallest with a configuration for both hands.
- LevelWind has a bright and simple design. It copes well with fish up to 50 pounds and has a large amount of filling line, so you can not worry about the fish break at the most unnecessary moment.
- Internal stainless steel components prevent corrosion, and the graphite body makes it light, but it is not the cheapest reel on the market, so some users may not be able to fit it. In this case, we have a solution for you – it is lower on the list.
Questions & Answers
Question: What versions are missing for the left hand?
Answer: The following versions are missing for the left hand:
Question: On which rods can you use the reel?
Answer: The reel is universal and can be used on any rods.
Question: Does the reel have a clicker?
Answer: Yes, it is.
Question: What size reel to choose from?
Answer: Medium size fits almost everyone.
2# Shimano TLD 2-Speed Conventional Reel – trust proven over years
Shimano company has been a long time on the market and managed to earn the trust of many users. The presented reel is one of the highest quality in the Shimano TLD family. In this family, there are two-speed and one-speed models of Shimano Reel. The two speeds feature a more powerful drag and drop system, the ability to withstand a heavier line, and a low gear ratio. According to a 2018 survey, 87 out of 100 fishermen preferred the two-speed models to one-speed ones.
Key features of the Shimano TLD II Speed A:
- Graphite is the main component from which the reel is made. It is a lighter and cheaper material than aluminum, so it can often be found in many budget reels. But the water he is opposed to no worse than stainless steel.
- The reel is equipped with 4 stainless steel anti-corrosion bearings, which put pressure on titanium washers. The choice of these materials allows you to put pressure on the entire area of the washers.
- Under the handle there is a lever with which you can control the drag system – you can tighten it completely or give the fish some space. It depends on your preferences. Two-speed TLD reels move up in drag with a max range of 30-42 pounds. Strike drag ranges from 22 to 32 pounds.
- By choosing a two-speed model of Shimano LTD, you can pull out fish up to 50 pounds, while having a smooth drag and a large line.
Questions & Answers
Question: Is reel available in left-handed?
Answer: Not on Amazon, but you can check the Shimano site
Question: What type of drag system is the Shimano 2 Speed TLD A?
Answer: Lever type and very smooth
3# Penn Battle II Spinning Fishing Reel – multifunctional spinning reel
You could already see this fishing reel in our reviews. Penn Battle II is suitable for spinning or baitcasting fishing, but it will be indispensable offshore too. It costs a little more than the Penn SQL30LW Squall LevelWind, but we found a variant for you at the same price. So, get it while it’s hot.
Key features of the Penn Battle II Spinning Fishing Reel:
- Penn Battle II is slightly heavier than a conventional reel, as it has an all-metal body, a rotor, and side plates. But this feature will not allow him to bend under the pressure of large fish.
- Like many Penn reels, HT-100 carbon fiber washers are used here that extend the life of the reel and ensure smooth operation. The keyed washer uses both sides of the washer to provide smooth braking.
- Thanks to the one-way bearing in the design in the reel, instantaneous anti-reverse is achieved and the backlash on the rotor is eliminated.
- In the previous version (Penn Battle I), many customers complained about the rapid erasure of paint and body corrosion. In Penn Battle II this defect is fixed and the manufacturer made 5 stainless steel bearings.
- One of the most useful features of a reel is the ability to add capacity rings. So you will always know how many lines you have. In addition, you have the rubber inlay on the spool. It means that you can load the spool directly with a braided line and skip having to back it with mono.
Questions & Answers
Question: Number of bearings. How many of them?
Answer: 5+1 Ball Bearings
Question: Is the reel available for left-handed?
Answer: The handle can be installed on both sides.
Question: Gonna catch Amberjack, what size reel do I need?
Answer: We think 5000 or 6000 will be suitable for this
Question: Is it possible to use the reel in freshwater?
Answer: This tool is suitable for use in both fresh and saltwater
Question: Is there a guarantee?
Answer: 1 year from the date of purchase
4# Sougayilang Line Counter Reel – good performance and pleasant appearance all rolled into one
Sougayilang company produces its reel in China and has a great demand not only in its own market but also in Europe and American. These are cheap but high-quality reels and we have heard very few negative reviews about them. The Sougayilang Line Counter Reel is no exception.
Key features of the Sougayilang Line Counter Reel:
- A striking reel design immediately catches the eye, but the blue coloring is not the only one. You can choose an orange or blue color and it doesn’t matter whether you are left-handed or right-handed. Sougayilang has both options.
- Behind a pleasant appearance, there are no less pleasant characteristics of the reel. It is equipped with a double ratchet, so the rotation will not start until you want. Stop the line will be a piece of cake, and you can fully control the use of the reel.
- Aluminum spool and stainless steel gears protect against corrosion. And carbon fiber drag system will ensure smooth operation. Regardless of how intensively you use a reel, you can be sure that it will perfectly serve for many years. The manufacturer gives a three-year warranty on it, which many, even the most popular reels, do not have.
Questions & Answers
Question: Can this reel hold the lead core line?
Question: Does the line countermeasure in metric or imperial, decimeter or feet?
Answer: Of course, in feet
5# KastKing Rover Round Baitcasting Reel – Our #2 Pick In The List
We put this reel in second place because it is not inferior in performance Penn SQL30LW Squall LevelWind, but it is two times cheaper. (About $50 on Amazon). The reel is universal and can work both in salty and freshwater. Despite its extreme lightness, you will not feel the tension in your hand and will struggle with the largest fish easily and smoothly. KastKing reel is worth every cent.
Key features of the KastKing Rover Round Baitcasting Reel:
- Versatile and durable design allows the reel to be used in fresh and saltwater. Corrosion and rust will not overtake the reel due to the aluminum anodized spool and side plates. The stainless steel shaft and worm gear prove it.
- You can use the reel both for trolling because of its lightness and for catching large sea fish because of the power of the reel.
- Several ball bearings in combination with anti-reversing ensure the most smooth operation. A drag system of up to 20 pounds allows you to pull out almost any sea or fresh fish.
Questions & Answers
Question: Is this reel good for trout trolling?
Answer: Yes, this reel is convenient for trout fishing
Question: Does this reel come in left hand?
Answer: Yes, but the left models in stock are much smaller than the right ones. It May out of stock at all.
Question: Is this item good for constant saltwater use?
Answer: The reel is great for fresh or saltwater use but doesn’t forget to rinse your reel after saltwater use.
Question: How loud is the bait clicker? Can I hear it without being at the reel?
Answer: Yes, the clicker is quite loud. Only it can’t be adjusted
6# Avet 5.3:1 Lever Drag Conventional Reel – not well-known but very effective variant
Avet MXJ MC RAPTOR is ideal for those who want to effectively invest a little more money and get one of the highest quality reels on the market. Avet is not as popular as Shimano or Penn, but any professional fisherman will tell you that the company produces the best reels in the United States. These reels are developed in the USA, they are perfectly balanced, have a small weight, but maximum efficiency. If you want to invest your money in a great offshore reel, then you should pay attention to this option.
Key features of the Avet Lever Drag Conventional Reel:
- The reel has two colors – blue or more popular camouflage. The all-metal frame is made of corrosion-resistant aluminum. But this does not prevent the reel from being light and compact.
- The internal components of the reel are made of stainless steel 60 T, which is used in marine vessels. 8 sealed ball bearings ensure a very smooth operation. Avet MXJ is equipped with a patented silent anti-reversing system, which is the most reliable in the world. Therefore, you can don’t worry that you’ll lose the line.
- The leg for attaching the rod will allow you to attach the reel to almost any rod, so you do not need to walk and pick up the fishing pole to the reel. The reel can withstand a drag up to 22 pounds, so any marine fish will be afraid of you.
Questions & Answers
Question: Right or left-handed reel?
Answer: We pointed out that this model is right-handed, but you can contact the company to order the left-handed reel
7# Okuma Cold Water Linecounter Trolling Reel – manufacturer’s attention to details
Yes, in this reel every detail is made very high-quality and carefully. So that, the reel works most efficiently in your hands. Many users appreciate this reel, because for the price of less than $100 you get a lot of useful features.
Key features of the Okuma Water Linecounter Trolling CW-453D:
- The manufacturer tried to maximally facilitate the design of the reel so that you could sit for a few hours near the water and fish without feeling tired in your hands.
- Each component in the reel has durability, even gears, and a drag system. The reel body is made of machined aluminum, and the spool is anodized. A nice addition is the Mechanical Stabilizing System, which provides durability.
- DLX models are designed for left-handed fishermen, so you will not be inconvenienced if you are left-handed. The reel has a one-year warranty, so if you have problems, you can replace or repair it at any time.
- The multi-disс carbonate drag system and the self-lubricating transmission system are most qualitatively made here. With them, the struggle even with the largest fish will be smooth and easy.
Questions & Answers
Question: How does the warranty for the purchased reel work?
Answer: If you have any problems with the reel, then just call the Okuma customer service department, where you present them a check, after which you will receive a replacement or refund.
Question: Is it possible to change spools that spooled up with a different line?
Answer: It is possible but only by unscrewing the left cover
8# Daiwa SGT20H Seagate Star Drag Reel– model with many additional functions
This is a more advanced version of the Sealine (X) line from Daiwa. Daiwa Seagate has many more additional useful functions, unlike its predecessor. Daiwa’s Ultimate Tournament Carbon Drag system, helical gears, and a centrifugal spool brake make it much more productive and versatile. Let’s talk about these functions in more detail.
Key features of the Daiwa SGT20H Seagate Star Saltwater:
- Daiwa Seagate uses 4 CRBB systems – what is it? These are four Corrosion Resistant Ball Bearings with more enhanced anti-corrosion properties than conventional stainless steel bearings. Also in this system, there is one anti-reverse bearing, but we will touch on it later.
- To enhance the anti-reverse system, Daiwa set up a dual anti-reverse system here. This means that the reel uses both the bearing and the dog together. This makes it much faster and more efficient to stop the reverse of the line.
- From the previous old line of reels, Daiwa Seagate took Ultimate Tournament Drag. We think that it’s a good solution because the drag discs here are made of dense carbon fiber and are constantly oiled for smoothness and lack of squeak.
- The centrifugal brake uses blocks that touch and add friction against the spool as it’s cast. The blocking pressure increases the faster the spool spins which controls but also can limit the range of the cast.
- The spool of the reel is anodized, so the aluminum from which it is made becomes incredibly resistant to corrosion, and this is very important when fishing in seawater.
- Additional features include the spool brake control knob and the proximity of all control settings to each other. This allows the angler to tune the reel very quickly.
Questions & Answers
Question: Does the reel come with a clamp?
Question: In which country the reel is made?
Answer: South Korea, not the first time I order from them
Question: Do I need to buy an additional clamp to secure the reel on the fishing rod?
Answer: The item already has the clamp. It will not work only if you have a very wide fishing pole. In other cases, the clip is universal.
9# One Bass Fishing Reels Level Wind Conventional Jigging Reel – most non-standard type of handle
The first thing that may surprise you is the handle design. It is big and very convenient, and it has many advantages. In general, and reel abilities should not disappoint you. Corrosion protection, 2 speeds, and a three-year warranty will appeal to any fisherman, but this does not end the reel’s features.
Key features of the One Bass Jigging Fishing Saltwater Reel:
- All internal components from bearings to gears in One Bass are made of stainless steel and resistant to corrosion in seawater.
- The carbon drag system provides a wide range, smooth operation, and powerful drag, no matter what settings you choose.
- We came to the most interesting thing – the handle design. The ergonomic and stylish handle is designed so that you can fully control the fish and not make a lot of effort. There are options, both on the left and the right hand.
- You can choose two speeds in the reel, depending on whether you need to tighten or loosen the drag.
- You can do not worry about the loss of your funds, because the manufacturer gives a three-year warranty on the reel, and in case of a breakdown (judging by the reviews on Amazon, this happens very rarely) you can completely replace the reel or repair it.
Questions & Answers
Question: Are the models for left-handed and right-handed the same?
Answer: Yes, they have an equal gear ratio, weight, size, etc.
Question: Is the reel in blue color only?
Answer: This item has only a blue option
10# Loki Saltwater Freshwater Conventional Fishing Reel – silver quality guarantee
We stumbled upon this reel by chance, just looking at the goods on Amazon. But this is the case when small rain lays great dust. It does not have hundreds of reviews, but they are all positive. It does not have a huge fan base, but every customer is pleased with the purchase of this reel. So why is it so good?
Key features of the Loki Saltwater Freshwater Conventional Fishing Reel:
- First, it is modest but ergonomic design. The reel is not designed to have a bright appearance, but to perform its work efficiently, which it does.
- You can choose a reel for both the right and left hand, and with a convenient round handle, your hands will not strain when working with the reel.
- The pre-set lever drag features allow any fisherman to adjust the drag as subtly as he wishes. Even without adjusting the drag system, it initially works very smoothly and quickly.
- Two bearings are responsible for the anti-reverse here when in most offshore reels they put only one. This provides much greater effectiveness of the entire anti-reverse.
- Ball bearings 9+2, spool, and other components are resistant to corrosion and made of stainless steel, which is used in aircraft manufacturing, so you will not worry about the strength and durability of the construction.
Questions & Answers
Question: Can you cast far with this reel? Or only for short distances?
How to Choose – Our Tips and Recommendations
We have selected for you a few tips and features of the reels, which you need to pay attention to when buying. By sticking to them, you can choose for themselves a high-quality and durable reel.
Price. Offshore reels will not last long in seawater – they are destroyed by corrosion and exposure to water. Do not think that you will put quality materials for $ 10. It is better to pay extra and take a good reel than to change the cheap ones every few times a year. It is not necessary to take the most expensive, look for something in the middle price segment.
Braid support. If you use only mono, then make sure that the reel is braided friendly. Not all reels support it, and some even work disgusting. The rollers at the ends of the reel may have gaps, due to which the thin braid may become tangled and slid. In addition to the instructions and recommendations of the manufacturer, try to read blogs, articles about reels, and video reviews.
Capacity. Before buying, check the capacity of the reel and make sure that the reel you like can accommodate the number of lines of the size you intend to use. This is especially true of narrow reels, where the line ends very quickly in deep areas.
Lightness. Offshore fishing can be very tiring for you if the reel is very heavy. Use reels that do not heavily load your hands. Remember that graphite frames are lighter than aluminum, but they are less resistant to corrosion. Even a couple of ounces are felt like a few pounds if you fish for several hours in a row.
Drag. You do not need the maximum drag, which is written on the reel. A reel with 50 or more pounds of drag will not give you results if you are not an Atlas. On average, an adult can handle 15-20 pounds of drag, this is normal. Only the largest fish load reel more than 25 pounds.
Durability. No reel you gain will serve you forever. Sooner or later, the components lose their properties under the action of saltwater and wear. Buying less expensive reels, thinking that it will still fail after 1-2 seasons, you will lose the characteristics. Quality reels will last a very long time if properly care for them.
Corrosion protection. Manufacturers protect their reels from corrosion in different ways. Someone makes protective coatings, someone better seals them, someone makes internal gaskets or a sealed bearing, but some do not protect the reel from corrosion. These should be avoided. In any case, carefully study the information about the reel and its specification.
Bait variability. Lightweight, durable and high-quality reels will be more convenient to use small light baits or small live baits.
Ball bearings. Ball bearings – the most vulnerable place in the reel. They often get salt, dust, dirt. They are more often exposed to cold. Therefore, in order not to change the bearings several times during the season, choose a reel where they are well protected.
Handle. Ergonomics handles are very important in the reel, but for some reason, many manufacturers forget about it. You should feel the reel in your hands well. Large knobs give more control, they allow you to control the fish, even in cases where the hand or grip is covered with mucus or dirt.
Our Best Choice – Penn SQL30LW Squall LevelWind
We have already mentioned that we chose the best model. A huge number of positive reviews, build quality, durability, ergonomics of this reel are very good. Yes, does it have a graphite frame and plates that are less resistant to corrosion than aluminum? but it is much lighter. Here you choose either protection or lightweight.
The ideal balance achieved by 2 stainless bearings and 1 anti-reversible ensures smooth operation. And the configuration for the left or the right hand is suitable for any angler. Drag system up to 50 pounds and large line capacity will prevent the fish from escaping. By choosing this reel, you provide yourself with long and pleasant fishing without inconvenience.
The Most Budget Variant – KastKing Rover Round Baitcasting Reel
If the reel from Penn is too expensive for you and you want to save money, almost without saving on performance, then KastKing Rover Round Baitcasting Reel is your choice. This model is already equipped with aluminum construction, rather than a graphite one, so it will be slightly harder, but more protected from corrosion. Additional anodization will enhance this protection.
The reel is strong enough to cope with large fish and does not load your hands – you can stay by the water for several hours without fatigue in your hands. Several high-quality ball bearings and anti-reverse functions ensure reel operation with smoothness and precision. The opportunity to drag 20 pounds will allow you to pull out almost any sea fish, except for the most gigantic fish.
Conclusion and Last Words about Offshore Fishing Reels
If you want to succeed in offshore fishing, then you need good equipment, including a high-quality and durable reel. Depending on which reel you choose, it will depend on how your fishing will progress. There are many aspects that you should rely on when buying. Therefore, the goal of our leadership was to give you a visual idea of how a quality offshore reel should look and work. We selected the top 10 offshore reels on Amazon. Thousands of customer reviews and professional fishing tips tell you that these reels will serve you for many years.
In our collection, there are options for both a small budget and for those people who want to invest a lot of money for the great efficiency of the offshore reel. Almost all the options above are universal and suitable for sea and freshwater, for offshore, spinning, or other types of fishing. Almost every reel is available for the left and right hand so that everyone who reads our manual could choose a suitable reel. We hope that our advice will give you useful information and understanding about which offshore reel you need. Fishing with pleasure!
Tags: #best offshore fishing reel / #best reel for offshore fishing / #best offshore fishing rod and reel combo / #how to find best reel for offshore fishing / #worlds best offshore fishing reel
I live in Tenerife (Canary Islands) for the last 10+ years and share my daily fishing experiences on my website. Many years of personal experience as a fisherman and the vast experience of my friends allow me to write professionally on any fishing topics (from choosing a flashlight and equipment to deep-sea fishing).
All of my advice is based on practical real-world experience and will be useful to both novice anglers and professionals. Read more about the author.
Affiliate Disclosure: FishReeler.com sometimes gets paid for listings, through sponsors or affiliate programs like Amazon, Ebay, Cabelas, Bass Pro Shop, Shimano, Daiwa, Rapala, Renn, Okuma, KastKing, etс. Clicking a link helps keep FishReeler.com free, at no extra cost to you!
About the author: Each article is verified by the fishing expert Sergio Smirnoff. The articles are written by professional and amateur fishermen with 20+ years of fishing experience.
Note: The views and opinions expressed in this article are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of any agency. The articles are for informational purposes only, share your opinions in the comments and join the fishing discussions, let's share our fishing experiences together!