- 1 Best 13 Fishing Black Betty Freefall – Editor’s Choice
- 2 The 5 Best 13 Fishing Black Betty Freefall Ice Reel
- 2.1 1# 13 Fishing Black Betty Freefall Inline Ice Fishing Reel – Best Pick Overall
- 2.2 2# 13 Fishing Black Betty 6061 Hardwater Inline Ice Fishing Reel – Best Performance
- 2.3 3# 13 Fishing Black Betty Freefall Trickshop Edition – Best Design
- 2.4 4# 13 Fishing Black Betty Freefall XL Inline Ice Fishing Reel – Best Powerful Pick
- 2.5 5# 13 Fishing Pickle Radioactive Ice Fishing Reel – Best Comfortable Pick
- 3 What Features Should A Good Ice Reel Have?
Everyone loves to sit near the ice and enjoy fishing. But it’s more enjoyable when you can fully control every movement of your bait and fish after the bite. We all love to experience this pleasant sensation when the fish dangles from your hook, right?
Best 13 Fishing Black Betty Freefall – Editor’s Choice
But to be successful in ice fishing you need a good ice reel to be a great tool and helper in your fishing. This is a reel that you can easily use for several years in a row without breaks and problems. A good reel will give you a smooth retrieve, good lifting capacity, and a smooth and enjoyable fishing experience. Besides, such a reel will create a comfortable and pleasant fishing atmosphere. There are thousands of different models of ice reels, each with its own pros and cons. Let us introduce you to the 5 best 13 Fishing Black Betty Freefall Reels for ice fishing. We want to make sure you get the best quality reels and go on the ice with quality gear.
Why 13 Fishing Brand?
13 Fishing is a well-known company and expert in the design of fishing reels for different types and preferences of anglers. The company aims to “make fishing enjoyable and affordable“, so every day it improves its production technology, paying attention to every reel that goes on sale. The manufacturer has a staff of highly qualified specialists and engineers who develop products to become one of the most highly qualified ice reel manufacturers. Quality control specialists control the reel production process from the beginning to the end. The mission of 13 Fishing is to bring you the most innovative, technological, and convenient products you can find.
The 5 Best 13 Fishing Black Betty Freefall Ice Reel
Now let’s take a look at 5 of the best ice fishing reels we have prepared for you!
1# 13 Fishing Black Betty Freefall Inline Ice Fishing Reel – Best Pick Overall
If 13 Fishing is taken for the production of reels, you can be one hundred percent sure that among all the baits, the fish will choose yours. How the company’s engineers manage to do this is unknown, but the fact remains. Ice fishing is no exception, and this model offers excellent performance on the ice.
For many, winter is a time when the catch drops significantly. But if you are a professional, the cold is not an obstacle for you, and quality equipment is one of the ingredients for success. The reel is easy to adjust in height. It can quickly return the line to the surface. And aluminum and composite modules prevent the line from freezing and sticking to the body. Add to that the great price, which we were very pleased with, and we have a powerful reel that can handle any fish.
2# 13 Fishing Black Betty 6061 Hardwater Inline Ice Fishing Reel – Best Performance
The main difference between this reel and the previous one is the CNC machined aluminum construction, which provides unrivaled durability and strength and a 2.7:1 gear ratio. This small model for ice fishing will suit even a beginner. It fits easily into traditional fishing suitcases, drawers, or organizers. Black Betty is made of practical cold-resistant aluminum. Frequent exposure to fish and frost does not affect performance and functionality. The durability of the spool is ensured by the metalized coating. Smoothness is achieved using high-quality ball bearings. Also, the reel has a balanced handle, a flat plastic knob.
3# 13 Fishing Black Betty Freefall Trickshop Edition – Best Design
Compact model in red and black colors for fishing in cold conditions, including freshwater. The use of special grease in the gears allows fishing at temperatures down to -15⁰С. Excellent rotor balancing reduces vibration for smoother, tighter line retrieve. The reel mechanism includes three ball bearings and one roller bearing with an anti-reverse function. The construction of the reel and spool are made of frost-resistant material, which once again confirms that the reel copes well with the cold. Also, on the handle of this reel, there are very comfortable non-slip cork knobs. Carbon drag allows you to fight even heavy fish.
4# 13 Fishing Black Betty Freefall XL Inline Ice Fishing Reel – Best Powerful Pick
This is one of the most powerful and productive Black Betty reels. It features up to 10 lb. drag, 3:1 gear ratio, and 4 stainless steel ball bearings. The reel components are made of high-strength carbon fiber. The long handle allows you to handle it even with thick gloves. The smooth movement of the line is achieved with 4 ball bearings. The line capacity is small but quite sufficient for comfortable fishing. The magnetic drag system is equipped with a convenient position switch. Overall, this is a very powerful ice reel with useful features.
5# 13 Fishing Pickle Radioactive Ice Fishing Reel – Best Comfortable Pick
A very simple but effective model from 13 Fishing, suitable for ice fishing. The reel is manufactured from a standard range of materials to ensure long service life. The carbon body is resistant to corrosion and external loads. The reel wheel is secured by a rigidly fixed axle with perfect balance. The nut mount securely fixes the reel on the axis, preventing loosening. Small line capacity provides improved line spooling and minimal risk of slipping. Anti-reverse bearing effectively fixes the bait while playing. Power is enough to catch heavy prey. A pair of soft knobs on the handle controls the rotation of the reel.
What Features Should A Good Ice Reel Have?
When choosing an ice reel, you need to pay attention to the following indicators so that it does not break and stop working after the first fishing:
- The strength of the reel elements. We all know that cold isn’t good for your gear. So it is important to take a reel with strong elements that can work even at subzero temperatures and will not crack after the temperature drops below 0.
- Low weight. A heavy reel is not needed for ice fishing. The lightweight reel will easily handle all the fish you will hunt under the ice. But your hands will get tired pretty fast if you decide to take a heavy reel.
- Smoothness. When lowering the bait and fighting the fish, the reel should not jerk or constantly twitch. If you use a reel with poor quality bearings, gears, and backlash, be prepared that your line will often break due to the fish’s snags.
- Powerful drag. To fight well with any fish, your reel must have a fairly powerful drag.
- Lack of noise and squeaks. The reel from the box should not creak. In general, squeaks and noises are always very bad. Because if your reel squeaks, it shows that your internal components are very poorly lubricated. Add to that the coldness in which you fish and your reel will fail in a matter of days. So always check your lubrication, especially before ice fishing.
- Good line capacity. Considering that in most cases you will be fishing in lakes or other open bodies of water, you will need to drop your bait deep enough. It will be very disappointing if your fish falls off because you do not have enough line length. So make sure your reel can hold enough line.
- Comfortable, ergonomic handle. The handle is not the most important aspect when choosing a reel, but it is still important. The handle should be made of high-quality durable material that can withstand the heavy load of fish. The knobs on the handle should be pleasant to the touch and should not slip if you accidentally smear your hands with water or mucus.
Where To Buy 13 Fishing Inline Ice Fishing Reel?
Popular models of ice fishing reels from 13 Fishing can be purchased in shops that specialize in fishing equipment and outdoor equipment. There you can not only look at good inexpensive budget devices, but also test for smooth rotation, quiet operation, and grip comfort. Listen to the advice and recommendations of sales assistants – how the reel works, how to choose, how the model differs from others, how much it costs, which one is better to buy.
If you don’t have a decent choice in your place of residence, you can go to the online store and order a high-quality reel, which the best manufacturers demonstrate on their pages. On the best trading platforms such as Amazon and the official 13 Fishing website, product cards are presented, which contain descriptions, characteristics, features, markings, photos, and links to buy your favorite ice reels.
What Types of Reels Are Mainly Used for Ice Fishing?
Basically for ice fishing anglers use two types of reels: spinning reels and inline reels. Sometimes you can find baitcasting reels in ice fishing, but they are very rare and only used for deep or very heavy fish such as lake trout. For all other cases, spinning and inline reels are used, so we will not consider bait casters.
Spinning reels are the most common in ice fishing. On the ice, anglers usually use ultra-light sizes, not exceeding 2500. This is necessary for proper balance with the rod because ice rods are much shorter than classic ones. Ice fishing uses rods from 16 to 24 inches.
Inline reels are somewhat similar to inline reels in their design and functionality. Inline reels hang from the bottom of the rod at line level. This allows the reel to move with the line, which prevents tangles, breaks, and kinks. Although spinning reels are the most common, they are inferior in their simplicity and line control to inline reels. That is why we decided to consider only inline reels in this review.
Spinning & Inline Reels Pros & Cons
Here’s a quick rundown of the good and bad inline and spinning reels. Based on this, you can choose which type suits you best.
Pros of Spinning Reels:
- Great for using live bait.
- Perfect drag adjustment.
- More versatility when fishing.
- Easy to use, does not require high reel skills.
Cons of Spinning Reels:
- Line twist problems, need to buy a swivel to get rid of it.
- Poor control of the bait falling speed.
- At very low temperatures, the reel can block from being frozen.
Pros of Inline Reels:
- No problems with line twisting and constant breaks (perhaps the biggest advantage).
- The best option for using jigs with these reels.
- Perfectly controls the speed of the falling line and bait.
- Suitable for small to medium fish.
- Works much better at low temperatures.
Cons of Inline reels:
- Usually more expensive than other reel types.
- Fewer models are available for choice.
- Less control and drag performance.
Our Final Verdict
13 Fishing Ice Reels are one of the highest quality and most productive inline reels on the market. However, they have their pros and cons, which we covered in detail in our review. Here are a couple of the best reels we have rated:
- 13 Fishing Pickle Radioactive Ice Fishing Reel – Best Design & Ergonomics
- 13 Fishing Black Betty 6061 Hardwater – Easy To Use Reel
- 13 Fishing Black Betty Freefall Inline Ice Fishing Reel – Best Pick for The Money
You can choose any reel from our list and it will definitely not disappoint you with its quality and performance, because 13 Fishing knows their business. The main thing is to know your target fish and the bait you are going to use. Then you definitely won’t be mistaken in choosing a reel. Have a nice fishing!
Tags: #13 fishing black betty / #13 fishing black betty freefall ice reel / #freefall inline ice fishing reel
I live in Tenerife (Canary Islands) for the last 10+ years and share my daily fishing experiences on my website. Many years of personal experience as a fisherman and the vast experience of my friends allow me to write professionally on any fishing topics (from choosing a flashlight and equipment to deep-sea fishing).
All of my advice is based on practical real-world experience and will be useful to both novice anglers and professionals. Read more about the author.
Affiliate Disclosure: FishReeler.com sometimes gets paid for listings, through sponsors or affiliate programs like Amazon, Ebay, Cabelas, Bass Pro Shop, Shimano, Daiwa, Rapala, Renn, Okuma, KastKing, etс. Clicking a link helps keep FishReeler.com free, at no extra cost to you!
About the author: Each article is verified by the fishing expert Sergio Smirnoff. The articles are written by professional and amateur fishermen with 20+ years of fishing experience.
Note: The views and opinions expressed in this article are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of any agency. The articles are for informational purposes only, share your opinions in the comments and join the fishing discussions, let's share our fishing experiences together!